Wednesday, June 20, 2012

How to Make Your Own Playdough


I followed the instructions here. There's a lot of websites that shows how to make play doughs, another DIY made from ingredients out of the pantry.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 tbsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp vegetable oil / or canola oil
1 cup water
food coloring

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix all the wet ingredients in a pan  and bring to a boil. Mix dry and wet ingredients together in the pan until it's all combined and looking like a dough. Take the dough out of the pan, let cool. Sprinkle flour and knead.








I used Ziploc bag for storage.

If you have more food colors, the better but red was the only one I had at the time and this metallic cookie cutters are the ones I saw first instead of plastic cutters.

Learning:
Protect your counters or wherever you are working when you decide to put additional coloring after you take it out of the pan. (I know that is common sense but I made this mistake anyway). I'm not sure with the tile or high end countertops.
It is harder to mix the dry and wet ingredients altogether than I thought.
The more we use it the better because we knead it more that way.

There is so much that you can do with playdough. If you have dollar stores in your area, you can grab play doughs from there but we don't have one here. I bought some at Walmart last few weeks ago because they still are cheap and so we can add to the red play dough. I think the handmade play dough is much better, they are non-toxic and softer for small hands. I will make more with other colors now that I have more food coloring.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails